When DocConverter fails to convert files, you may need to change the DCOM permissions for specific applications.
Note: The steps in the following procedure vary slightly depending on your environment. Please review the instructions in their entirety before proceeding:
Make sure to use an Administrator account when setting the DCOM permissions.
- Click Start > Run
- Type mmc -32, click OK
- Select File > Add/Remove Snap-in.
4. Select Component Services, and then click Add.
5. Click Close, and then click OK.
6. Once you click OK, Expand Component Service > Computers > My Computer > DCOM
DCOM will need to be setup for MS Word, Excel, Power Point, depending on what type of Office document you are converting
Scroll down in DCOM and set security for each below:
- Microsoft Excel Application
- Microsoft PowerPoint Slide
- Microsoft Word 97 - 2003 Document
Right Click each Office product and click Properties
Within the application properties you will set the security and confirm the correct Administrator user is being used in the identity tab
1. Within the Application properties > Click Security
2. Select Customize for Lunch and Activation Permissions, Access Permissions and Configuration Permissions
3. Click Edit for each one
4. Click Add
5. Add an Administrator user and click check names to verify that the user exist and than click OK
6. Once the user has been added Highlight the user you just added
7. Click all check boxes under allow and click OK
8. Click on the Identity tab
- If using "This User" make sure to use an Administrator account, if conversions still fail switch to "The interactive user"
- See this Microsoft article explains the purpose of the Interactive User
Noted: If "This User" still fails with conversions, that mean the Users specified does not have correct permissions.
9. Once set, click OK
10. Click close mmc -32 console > File Exit
11. If prompted to "SAVE" make sure to save by clicking "YES"
12. Click "SAVE"
13. If prompted to to replace it, click "YES"
14. Once the mmc -32 console closes, retest by dropping your files into default watch folder